I believe we should have as little of an impact as possible on our natural environment. There are many, many, environmental consequences of dams including the direct impact to the biological, chemical, and physical properties of our river and surrounding environments.
- Have led to the extinction of many fish and other aquatic species
- Have led to huge losses of forest, wetlands, and farmlands
- Hold back sediment that would naturally replenish downstream ecosystems
- Cause erosion of coastal deltas and other unmitigable impacts.
- And, the reservoirs often host non-native and invasive species that further undermine the natural communities of plants and animals.
Not to mention the cost associated with the maintenance of the reservoir.